free flash templates
free flash templates menu free css & photoshop templates menu free flash animation


View Full Version : [SOLVED] Template 9 - special characters question

06-05-2009, 10:58 PM

I have another question, related to Tempelate no.9 - I am using our special regional characters such as ľ, , č, ť, and so and different .htm files display them different! I am modifying everything with PSPad. Check my development version:

For example when I modified file _news.htm, everything is OK - it means every character displays correctly. But when you take a look on the homepage (index.htm) and news on the left side, it incorrectly displays the character "č", but other characters such as "", "", "" are correct. And now, when I modified the file _portfolio ("photos" in my case), every special character is displayed wrong!

I used the test characters sentence "Test ľ č ť ň" and applied it to the "news" and "aviation" files on the same time. In the "news" file everything is OK and in the same time and with the same style added sentence to "aviation" page, it displays totaly wrong. How is it possible?

06-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Okey, I did some tests and here are the results. Probably they will be usefull in case to find the solution.

Because in the _news.htm file (news) everything displays correctly, i decided to to make a copy of its soucre code from top to bottom, it means every character, and paste it to the _letectvo.htm file (aviation). You can see the results. News in the Firefox is displayed correctly while Aviation is completely wrong. With IE7, the only difference is, that in the Aviation, the special characters are displayed as the "?"

Another interesting thing is that I checked also another web, that is using the Tempelate no.9 and I attach the results as the image. As you can see, in the Firefox the top banner, menu and news are wrong while content is displayed correctly with all its characters. When using IE7, everything look as it should look without any problem.

FIREFOX 3.0.10 (freshly installed) (

IE7 (

06-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Hi Anabass,
I think the problem is coming from the encoding _letectvo.htm.
Can you try to open it with notepad and save it again and chose UTF-8 encoding ?
Doeas it solve your problem ?

06-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Yes, it solved the problem related to content of the web, thank you. However the same solution applied to index.htm had opposite result. The test characters were completely wrong. So I tried ISO 8859-2 encoding, the same, that is defined in the head of the page. Then the half of the characters displayed correctly and the rest wrong. So finaly I tried Windows CP1250 encoding and everything is now OK.

So everybody, that is using unstandard (middle Europe in this case) characters in his web should encode the content of the page using UTF-8 and the file index.htm using the encoding Windows CP1250. It is also necessary to modify the head in the file index.htm and replace the original code:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

...with the new one:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=CP1250" />